Thursday, June 14, 2012

Blog 7 - God save the Queen!

Prince William thanks Queen for 'love and devotion'

Prince William has thanked Queen Elizabeth II during a speech aimed at an audience at Vernon Park in Basford. He said: "The occasion presents the perfect opportunity for me, through my patronage of the Queen Elizabeth II Fields, to pay tribute to the Queen on her Diamond Jubilee”. The prince thanked the Queen for all her good deeds, devotion and the love she has shown her people for the last 60 years. According to Caitlin McClatchey, a swimmer: "She's been a figurehead of this country for 60 years and I feel so honoured and privileged to have been able to meet her."

To be fairly honest, I do not give one flying bird about any monarchism, let alone the British one. I find it rather amusing that all these people can be so happy by paying an old woman for 60 years to do nothing, because that is basically what she does. On the other hand, every day is a reason to party so it would be hypocritical to judge them. I just cannot imagine why people would be happy if someone who is nothing more than a symbol has been ‘ruling’ them for 60 years. I find it strange that someone would even consider celebrating ones suppression.



http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18411262

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I agree with you saying that the role a queen fulfills in a nation is rather pointless. On the other hand, if there are people who do value her presence then who cares, right? Also, I think you missed one thing because you said that people are happy to pay the queen, but they don't actually do that - they pay tribute to the queen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With paying queen I refer to the tax money. I believe they spend a couple of million pounds a year just to keep her fed.

    ReplyDelete