Obesity is a growing problem everywhere around the world.
Most people blame children and their parents for not getting enough exercise.
However, a 12-year study, done by Plymouth Hospital in the UK, shows that children
and adults get exactly the same amount of exercise as they did 60 years ago,
when obesity was not a problem. The think that is currently making us fat is
our food. Thanks to Richard Nixon and his idea to add corn to our animal’s diet,
all our food is transformed to make it cheaper and bigger. Even the clothing sizes
changed from L to M (and XL to L etc.). The biggest problem is not that we eat
too much, but that we eat too unhealthy. The current food contains too much fat
and too much sugar, even without us knowing.
This article was quite shocking to me. I must admit that I
knew that most of us our too fat but who would have thought that was caused by
structurally altered food and not the lack of exercise. Personally I am a very
lazy person and I dislike running for the sake of running. I love sports
however, especially when I was a kid. Now I know why I was fat; not because of
the exercise, but because of the junk our government (and big tycoons) puts in
our food.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jun/11/why-our-food-is-making-us-fat
Your summary is well done! I must say that I wasn't as shocked reading this article as you are, but it is indeed peculiar. Also, while it is true that food nowadays is full of crap, it's not as if this makes exercise pointless.
ReplyDeleteAlso, there's only one minor error I found in your post which is a typo. In the second sentence of the second paragraph you say 'our' where I think you mean to say 'are'. You're welcome! :B