The days of anonymity on the internet are coming to a close.
According to Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook's chief operating officer, people on the
internet want to interact with people with ‘authentic’ identity. This means
they want to know who they are talking to, thus banning anonymity. Facebook and
Google require knowing a person’s identity (name, age, location etc.) before
they can register. Richard Allan, Facebook’s director of policy in the United Kingdom, on
their purchase of Instagram: “Immigration officials will ask to see a photo
album to see if a relationship is genuine. It's a very instinctive and powerful
way to confirm authentic identity." However, 4Chan and Thor prefer people
being anonymous.
Personally, I think that the way it is now, is not as it
should be. Massive corporations have your details without you knowing. I like
the fact that you know who’s behind the PC while being on Facebook or any other
social media, but what is really is important is one’s personal freedom. I
cannot be satisfied with other people having my confidential information
without me knowing it, thus I say that anonymity on the internet is more
important than authenticity. I am not happy that a corporation of thousands of
people has a big part of my credentials. Are you?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/19/online-identity-authenticity-anonymity
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/19/online-identity-authenticity-anonymity
No comments:
Post a Comment